Wednesday, September 29, 2010

from awful to dreadful

Well, because I ate so horribly yesterday, I went to bed with a high blood sugar, I think it was about 270.  I bolused (took insulin) for the high and figured I'd wake up somwehere in the 160 range.  Wrong!  I was 232.  I ate my usual breakfast of a slim fast shake and banana and went to volunteer at the school for a few hours while Ryan was in Kindergarten. 

-Side note- I was in a really crummy mood because yesterday hadn't gone very well and I really didn't want to go over to the school at all but I had promised a few teachers I would go.  I didn't spend as much time as I usually do on myself in the morning and it showed.  I looked like junk.  And people noticed. 

Then I started feeling pretty poorly, and people could really tell.  I had a weird chest pain and what felt like a fever.  Being diabetic, I automatically thought it was my sugar.  I decided that my attempt at getting anything done at school was futile and figured I'd better get home and get some more rest (didn't sleep well last night either which is pretty normal for me).  On my way out into the parking lot I figured I'd check on my pump site.  It was disconnected.  Which meant that it had probably been that way since I put my shorts on, before I ate breakfast, and bloused for breakfast.  Translation: I hadn't gotten any insulin to cover for my high, nor my breakfast, nor for the past three hours.  I KNEW my sugar was high but I only live about three minutes for the school so I decided to just throw the toddler in the car and check it when I got home.  It was 521!  (Normal range is 80-120).  I tested again just to be sure and my meter was only 3 points different. 

So, I'm feeling pretty crappy and now I know why.  I took a shot of 16 units, bloused 2 units with a 1 hour reminder so that I could check it to see how far it had come down. 

It has now been about 6 hours and I'm still running in the 300 range.  I ate a few crackers for lunch and drank 2 diet cokes and 1 water.  I'm hoping my sugars will be down in the 100 range here pretty soon. 

What's really a bummer about highs is the inevitable low that follows.  I'll end up with too much insulin in my system, and probably not enough food, and will go low.  It will probably happen during my tutoring session which is scheduled in about an hour from now.  Then I won't be able to think straight and the kid will think I'm a weirdo. 

Ah, the roller coaster of diabetes. 

1 comment:

  1. Disclaimer: I know this is a weight loss blog and not a diabetes blog. However, diabetes affects everything in my life, especially my eating and exercise habits.

    ReplyDelete