Wednesday, October 6, 2010

good news or bad?

Well, I saw the doctor this week, as I mentioned before.  The results are in.  I have hypothyroidism.  I'm really glad that they were able to diagnose it.  I'm also quite proud of myself for paying attention to my body and noticing that something was amiss, and accurately diagnosing myself on Web MD. 
What is it?  My thyroid isn't producing enough hormone.
What can they do? Give me medication which should bring my levels back to normal, and reduce my symptoms including the weight gain.
What's the good news?  I've been diagnosed and I'll receive treatment.  The treatment should also aid in my metabolism and therefore my diabetes too. 
What's the bad news?  I'll have to take another prescription medicine.  Most likely for the rest of my life. 
What's interesting about it?  People who have one endocrine disorder are more prone to having another.  I recently learned this on a podcast for mothers.  There was a featured story on a young girl with Type 1 diabetes (the kind which I have) who was diagnosed because she'd already had another endocrine disorder; Graves Disease. 

I'm grateful I was able to find help and hopeful that I'll start feeling more normal soon.   The past two weeks have been particularly poor.  Today I've felt so tired and lethargic.  I'm glad it's more than just adjusting to staying at home. 

1 comment:

  1. im so glad they figured it out! knowing WHAT is wrong makes you feel so much better. and once they get your meds regulated, you will be so much happier!

    ReplyDelete