Tuesday, October 5, 2010

swimming

I could write an entire post dedicated to my 30 minute experience at the pool this morning.  I think I might just dump my thoughts here too because no one else wants to hear me ramble on. 
I was so pumped that after 8 weeks of the pool being closed it was finally open again.  It is just the best form of exercise for me and the time, while brutal- at least for me, works out the best. 
They had closed for resurfacing and I can't believe what they put on that pool.  Mark my words this is going to be a huge mistake.  They put in some kind of plastic lining on the pool and there are already air bubbles everywhere.  The lane lines and marks on the wall are taped over the top of the lining and you can tell that those things are going to peel right off.  I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid they're going to have major problems with this crap.
The dumb life guard who works at 5:30 am decided he had to sweep one of the two available lanes and so I had to go over to the lane where there were no lane lines.  I wonder if you know what those lines are for anyway?  Besides holding you in your lane, or marking where you are swimming, they happen to absorb a great deal of waves or wake created by other swimmers.  I was there about 15 minutes when some guy 100 pounds heavier than me shows up and swims in the lane over (no lane lines).  He is creating so much wake that I'm all over the place and feeling super dragged down from him.  Arg!  That is the point of the lane line.  I was the first one there today and I would have really liked to have swum in the first lane. 
If that lifeguard does that tomorrow, I'm going to ask him to move! 
I didn't feel great in the water which wasn't really surprising because I haven't swum laps for quite some time.  I hope I'll start getting back to where I was in a week or two. 
I did 30 minutes and swam about 800 yards.  Before the pool closed I was up to about 40 minutes and 1200 yards, so I've got some improving to do.  Sadly, I can only afford 40 minutes before my husband has to leave but I plan on getting back to where I was before. 
I'm just really glad the pool is back open again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment